Proper Face Mask Wearing Method to Prevent COVID-19
Masks are an important line of defense against COVID-19 infections. With the in-depth understanding of the transmission of the COVID-19, wearing a mask has become the standard for everyone going out. But do you really know how to put on a mask?
To prevent an epidemic, not only wear a mask, but also wear a mask correctly. Only by ensuring the correct use and disposal of the masks can they guarantee the proper effect of the masks. Incorrect use of masks not only fails to isolate the virus but also increases the risk of virus transmission.
Some specific recommendations from WHO for the proper use and disposal of masks are as follows:
1. Before wearing a mask, wash your hands with alcohol-based hand soap or soap.
2. The mask should cover the nose and mouth strictly to minimize the gap between the face and the edge of the mask.
3. Avoid touching the face of the mask with your hands. If you have to do this, wash your hands with alcohol-based hand soap or soap in advance.
4. Replace the mask as soon as it becomes wet.
5. Do not reuse disposable masks.
6. Take off the mask through the cord at both ends and avoid touching the front of the face with your hands.
7. Immediately after removing the mask, discard it in a closed dustbin and wash your hands with alcohol-based hand soap or soap.
8. It is not necessary to wear multiple masks for maximum protection.
9. Under no circumstances is it recommended to wear cloth masks (such as cotton or gauze masks).
The correct steps to wear a mask:
1. Wash your hands to keep them clean and hygienic. Pick up the mask, place the mask horizontally on the face’s nose and nose, and hang the rope at the ends of the mask on your ears. The metal strips inside the mask should be located on the upper nose bridge.
2. Pull up the folds of the mask with both hands upwards and downwards at the same time. Use the middle fingers of both hands to squeeze the metal strips on both sides of the nose bridge above the mask to ensure that the mask can completely cover the nose and chin.
Notes on wearing a mask
1. Pay attention to the expiration date of medical masks (medical masks referred to in this article, medical surgical masks and N95 masks)
Before using a medical mask, be sure to confirm the production date and expiration date. The use of expired medical masks cannot effectively block the infection of viral germs.
2. Always wash your hands before and after wearing a medical mask
Be sure to wash your hands before wearing the mask to avoid touching the inner surface of the mask, and try to avoid touching the mask during use to prevent the protection from being reduced. When removing the mask, try not to touch the outside of the mask to prevent bacteria from getting on your hands, and be sure to wash your hands after removing.
3, medical masks should not be worn for a long time
It is not necessary to wear a medical mask all day and night, and it is not necessary to wear a mask in a place with low population density and more ventilation.
4.Medical masks need to be replaced regularly
Regardless of the type of mask, the protective effect is limited and needs to be replaced regularly. It is best to replace it every 2 to 4 hours. Avoid re-using masks that have been used. Important points: N95 masks are also disposable masks.
Pregnant women, elderly, children
How to wear a mask?
Combining with your own conditions, choose a medical mask with good comfort. You can consult a professional physician before wearing to confirm that your physical condition is suitable.
The elderly and patients with chronic diseases
This group has different physical conditions. Some people with heart and lung disease wearing masks may cause discomfort and even exacerbate the original condition. These people should seek professional guidance from a doctor.
Children are in the stage of growth and development, and their faces are small. It is difficult to achieve a close effect with general medical masks. It is recommended that children’s protective masks from regular manufacturers be selected.
For your and others’ health
Prevention of infection by respiratory tract virus
Be sure to wear a mask!
Wear a surgical mask or N95 mask!
Wear a mask correctly!
When winter infectious diseases are high, wearing a mask is not only an effective measure to protect yourself from being infected by others, but also an effective measure to protect people around you when you have respiratory symptoms, just like setting a “filter barrier” for your respiratory system.
Under what circumstances should I wear a mask?
1. When going to the hospital for treatment.
2. When taking public transportation.
3. The period of high incidence of respiratory infectious diseases requires staying in a relatively closed or crowded space for a long time.
4. If a colleague or classmate has a cold in an office or a school class.
5. When the patient is in close contact with people.
For the protection of infectious diseases in winter, it is most suitable to choose disposable medical masks. It is recommended to buy products from regular companies.
How to wear a mask correctly?
If you wear the mask incorrectly, the effect will be greatly reduced. The most important thing when wearing a mask is to ensure the tightness. This requires choosing a model that suits you. For example, children need to use children’s masks that match the age and face size.
When wearing disposable medical masks, fully unfold the folded surface, completely cover the mouth, nose, and jaw, and then press the nose clip so that the mask fits the face completely. Also note that disposable masks are inside and outside. The light-colored side is hygroscopic and should be close to the mouth and nose, with the dark side facing outward.
Precautions when wearing a mask
Wash your hands before wearing a mask. After wearing the mask, try not to touch it. If you must touch, remember to wash your hands before and after you touch it.
When removing the mask, try not to touch the outside of the mask. Remember to wash your hands immediately after removing the mask. Try not to reuse disposable medical masks.
Medical mask classification
1. There are many types of medical masks. Common medical masks are disposable non-woven masks, gauze masks, and special-purpose anti-virus masks.
1. Disposable non-woven masks, with more than three layers, to isolate bacteria and dust, and disposable, safe and reliable, without the risk of secondary infection.
2. Gauze masks, the most commonly used types of masks, gauze masks have been widely used in medical and scientific research fields.
3. Anti-virus masks are mainly made of special materials with a filter layer in the middle. Generally, the filter layer is activated carbon felt or melt-blown cloth. It has sterilizing and sterilizing effects.
Second, according to performance characteristics and scope of application, medical masks can be divided into: medical protective masks, medical surgical masks, general medical masks.
Medical protective mask
It meets the GB19083-2003 “Technical Requirements for Medical Protective Masks” standard. Important technical indicators include non-oily particle filtration efficiency and airflow resistance:
(1) Filtration efficiency: Under the condition of air flow rate (85 ± 2) L / min, the filtration efficiency for aerodynamic median diameter (0.24 ± 0.06) μm sodium chloride aerosol is not less than 95%, which is in line with N95 (Or FFP2) and above.
(2) Inspiratory resistance: Under the above flow conditions, the inspiratory resistance does not exceed 343.2Pa (35mmH2O).
2. Medical surgical masks
Meets YY 0469-2004 “Technical Requirements for Medical Surgical Masks” standard, important technical indicators include filtration efficiency, bacterial filtration efficiency and respiratory resistance:
(1) Filtration efficiency: Under the condition of air flow (30 ± 2) L / min, the filtration efficiency for aerodynamic median diameter (0.24 ± 0.06) μm sodium chloride aerosol is not less than 30%;
(2) Bacterial filtration efficiency: Under specified conditions, the filtration efficiency of S. aureus aerosols with an average particle diameter of (3 ± 0.3) μm is not less than 95%;
(3) Breathing resistance: under the condition of filtering efficiency and flow rate, the inhalation resistance does not exceed 49Pa, and the exhalation resistance does not exceed 29.4Pa.
3. Ordinary medical masks
Meet the relevant registered product standards (YZB), generally lack the filtration efficiency requirements for particles and bacteria, or the filtration efficiency requirements for particles and bacteria are lower than medical surgical masks and medical protective masks.
Correct wearing method of medical mask
Generally, the disposable sanitary masks we buy in pharmacies are general medical surgical masks, which have two sides, the darker side is the blue side, and the lighter side is inward, which is close to our face.
Major precautions for wearing masks
1. The mask has two sides, white and blue, with the white side facing inward, and the side with the metal strip facing up. First, tie the two lower straps behind the neck, and tighten them so that the lower side of the mask reaches the root of the chin.
2. Pull up the upper edge of the mask and cover the mouth and nose with the mask. Pull the upper two straps behind the ears and fasten them on the head, not on the ears.
3. Use both index fingers to press the metal wire on the nasal root of the mask to make it close to the skin of the nose, and then gradually move the forefinger to both sides. The entire mask is close to the facial skin.
1. Washing: Wash your hands first to prevent dirty hands from contaminating the inside of the mask.
2. Hanging: Place the mask horizontally on the nose and mouth of the face, and use both hands to hang the rope on the ears.
3. Pull: Pull up the wrinkles of the mask with both hands up and down at the same time, so that the mask can completely cover the nose and chin.
4. Press: Finally, press the metal strips on both sides of the bridge of the nose with the index fingers of both hands, so that the upper end of the mask can be pressed against the bridge of the nose.
In addition, we need to remind everyone that after wearing a mask, avoid touching the mask frequently to prevent the protection from being reduced. After taking off the mask, put it in tape or paper bag and wrap it, then put it in a covered trash can and discard it, and wash your hands in time. Do not reuse disposable masks.
Correct wearing method of medical N95 mask
1. First, loosen the headband every 2-4 cm, pass your hand through the mask headband, and the metal nose is forward.
2. Wear a mask and close to the face. The upper end of the mask is placed behind the head, and then the lower end is pulled over the head, placed behind the neck, and adjusted to a comfortable position.
3. Press the tips of your two fingers along the metal strip of the nose bridge from the middle to the sides and slowly press inward until it is close to the bridge of the nose.
4. Cover the mask with both hands as much as possible and perform positive and negative pressure tests. (Positive pressure test: cover the mask with both hands and exhale vigorously. If the air overflows from the edge of the mask, that is improper wearing, you must adjust the headband and metal bridge of the nose bridge; negative pressure test: cover the mask with both hands and exhale vigorously. The center will sink. If the air comes in from the edge of the mask, it will be worn improperly. You must adjust the headband and the metal strip of the bridge of the nose again. Make sure that the side with the metal strip should face inward.